A young girl has died in Ghana after she was set ablaze in a freak accident during a prayer session in the central part of the country.
Local media Citi FM reported that the girl died from her burns as result of the incident while receiving prayers from a prophetess ahead of an examination.
The girl was writing this year’s West African Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).
Police have said that the prophetess who led the prayer session, had poured an anointing oil on the girl but accidentally the oil caught fire during the prayer session when she came in contact with a candle that had been lit.
A senior police spokesperson, Emmanuel Donkoh Baah, was quoted by the local media to have said that the girl “attended the prayer session with the parents and during the prayers, the prophetess administered some direction; smeared oil on the body, lit a candle and the candle burned the schoolgirl.”
The deceased was taken to the church for prayers by her mother to enable her pass the exams.
The police have now launched a manhunt for the suspect.