Thursday, April 18, 2024

Ghana builds roads using plastic waste

Must read

Isaac Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.

Plastics are a nuisance to the environment and finding alternative use for them in parts of Africa is a major headache but in Ghana that is no longer an issue.

Some engineers in the West African nation are converting plastics into building materials and now using them to build roads.

Ghanaian inventor, Nelson Boateng has been able to convert 100 per cent plastic waste into concrete blocks unlike the regular concretes.

Boateng with the Minister of Environment, Ghana. Photo Courtesy: Nelplast

Using his self-made machine he has turned plastic waste into concrete blocks with the blocks not requiring glue or any other adhesive.

Ghana produces 22,000 tonnes plastic waste annually and out of which the country recycles only 2%, with the remaining 98% usually dumped on land field.

- Advertisement -


The World Economic Forum has said that by the year 2050, there will be more plastic waste in our oceans than there are fish as an estimated 8 million metric tons of plastic enter the oceans each year, harming animals and ecosystems.

Boateng is hoping to change this narrative but making use of Ghana’s plastic wastes. Ghana’s environment ministry has commended him for the initiative and willing to support him succeed.

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -