The World Health Organisation says the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been “largely contained”.
The global health body said on Wednesday that no new cases have been confirmed since June 9.
In a report WHO says “Slightly over a month into the response, further spread of EVD (Ebola virus disease) has largely been contained”.
The U.N. health body however says it is still handling the situation with “cautious optimism”. Officials are focusing on tracking down people likely to be exposed to the virus close to the Congo River.
Further details of WHO report
The report says “The number of contacts requiring follow-up is progressively decreasing, with a total 1,417 completing the mandatory 21-day follow-up period.
As of 17 June 2018, a total of 289 contacts were under follow up, of which 276 (96%) were reached on the reporting date”.
The report also revealed that “If no new cases are reported, the last contacts of the known confirmed or probable cases will complete follow-up on 27 June 2018.”
Fighting the virus
Last week the WHO said the fight against the Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo is succeeding.
People with direct contact with Ebola patients especially in the city of Mbandaka have been vaccinated.
The vaccination exercise is to help prevent further spread of the virus which has claimed 25 lives so far.
Latest figures show that the vaccine, by Merck was administered to 1,112 people, including 567 in the northwestern city.
When to declare DR Congo Ebola-free?
The Ebola outbreak could be declared over after 42 days without new cases from the last confirmed case.
There are indications should the trend remain same, the outbreak could be declared over in July.