Nigerian officials say at least ten people have been killed after a building collapsed in the commercial capital of Lagos on Wednesday.
The collapsed building had residential blocks and other apartments including a school.
Over 100 school children and other occupants of the building are now believed trapped.
Rescue efforts are still ongoing at the scene of the collapsed building with about 40 pupils reported to have been pulled out alive.
Those with sever injuries are receiving medical treatment at health facilities. The building that collapsed was in the Ita-faji area of Lagos island.
Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Idiat Adebule told PUNCH that “We commiserate with the families of the affected pupils and staff.
We are urging parents, who are anxious to see their children and wards, to allow medical doctors and government’s rescue team to do their work in rescuing and protecting the lives of the victims.
We are also assuring you that the state government will do its utmost to ensure that the best medical attention is given to those that have been rescued so far.”
Adebule assured that officials are “intensifying efforts to safely rescue other pupils and staff that are still trapped.”
Officials said the four-storey building was supposed to have been demolished.
This is not the first time Nigeria is recording a major building collapse.
In 2016, over 100 people were killed in a church building collapse in southeastern part of the country.
At least 30 people were also killed in Lagos in 2016 again after a five-storey building still under construction collapsed.