Thursday, July 2, 2020

U.N provides $13mln grant for Cyclone Kenneth victims

Must read

German officials search house of Gambian player over ‘double identity’

German officials on Thursday conducted a house search in the apartment of Gambian player, Bakery Jatta in Hamburg. According to Germany daily Sport Bild, investigators...

Ten years since Ghana’s Asamoah Gyan broke hearts of Africans

On July 2, 2010 Ghana's senior football team, the black stars had the best chance ever in their footballing history to progress to the...

Famous Ethiopian singer buried amid deadly violence

Ethiopian singer Hachalu Hundessa has now been buried after he was shot dead in the capital Addis Ababa earlier this week. His death sparked unrest...

South African refinery explosion kills at least two

At least two people have died and at least six others have sustained injuries following an explosion at an oil refinery in South Africa. The...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

The United Nations on Sunday announced that it will be providing a grant of $13 million to Mozambique and Comoros after Cyclone Kenneth battered them.

The $13 million in emergency funds according to the UN is to help provide food and water as well as repair damaged infrastructure.

The UN Humanitarian Chief Mark Lowcock in a statement said “This new allocation of Central Emergency Response Fund funds will help humanitarian partners to scale up the response to address the needs of those most vulnerable in the aftermath of Cyclone Kenneth”.

The World Bank has estimated that countries affected by tropical storms this year will need over $2 billion to recover.

Mozambique for instance is enduring a second cyclone within a period of one month. The first cyclone, Idai led to the death of thousands.

- Advertisement -

Several others were displaced and were yet to even receive humanitarian assistance. That crisis has now been compounded by the impact of Cyclone Kenneth.

Floods have followed Cyclone Kenneth, cutting off some communities with thousands at risk of displacement.

Many across Mozambique are in dire need of humanitarian support.

The United Nations said many of the many of the communities were “run over by” the cyclone like “a bulldozer”.

- Advertisement -

The Southern and Eastern head of the Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), Gemma Connell said efforts are ongoing “to get people the supplies they need”.

She adds that “the weather is still bad, it is still raining. But thankfully the winds have died down.”

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

German officials search house of Gambian player over ‘double identity’

German officials on Thursday conducted a house search in the apartment of Gambian player, Bakery Jatta in Hamburg. According to Germany daily Sport Bild, investigators...

Ten years since Ghana’s Asamoah Gyan broke hearts of Africans

On July 2, 2010 Ghana's senior football team, the black stars had the best chance ever in their footballing history to progress to the...

Famous Ethiopian singer buried amid deadly violence

Ethiopian singer Hachalu Hundessa has now been buried after he was shot dead in the capital Addis Ababa earlier this week. His death sparked unrest...

South African refinery explosion kills at least two

At least two people have died and at least six others have sustained injuries following an explosion at an oil refinery in South Africa. The...

Gabon bans EU travellers from visiting in reciprocal move

Gabon's government has suspended the issuing of visas to European Union travellers amid the Covid-19. According to Gabon's officials the move is due to the...