Sudan has said it quelled a revolt carried out by troops loyal to former president Omar al-Bashir on Tuesday.
There were clashes late Tuesday as soldiers loyal to the new regime and Bashir fought in the capital Khartoum for hours.
The government forces however prevailed, putting an end to any potential threat to the new regime.
The head of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), Lieutenant General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, said he will not consider Tuesday’s incident a coup attempt but said such action would not be tolerated.
“We will not accept any coup, we will not accept any illegal change. The only change will come from the Sudanese people,” he said.
Former intelligence chief Salah Gosh is being accused of orchestrating the rebellion.
According to Dagalo Salah Gosh and a member of Bashir’s old ruling party were behind the NISS unrest.
“This is a coordinated plan by Salah Gosh and another member of the National Congress party including some generals from intelligence service,” he told a news conference.
“The person behind this shooting today is Salah Gosh. He has many generals active within the security sector with an aim to create confusion and fighting.”
On Wednesday, the sovereign council head, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, declared that the violence was now over.
“All headquarters are under the army’s control, and the airspace is now open,” he said.
Tuesday’s violence is seen as the biggest threat so far for the new administration since Bashir was toppled last year after 30 years in power.
According to Sudanese officials, the troops that carried out the revolt were former employees of the National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS).
The troops also shut two small oilfields in Darfur in protest of their severance packages, but soldiers seized back control of all buildings.
Four people have reportedly sustained gunshot wounds but are in stable condition, a doctors’ committee linked to the civilian government said in a statement.