South Africans have been left in a state of shock after a 14-year old girl was found dead after being raped by some men.
South Africa is on a lockdown to deal with the spread of the deadly coronavirus but that wasn’t enough to bring crimes down.
The empty streets of Soweto and constant police patrols to enforce the lockdown also could not protect the 14-year-old Dobsonville teen from the attack.
The Grade 9 pupil at Aurora Girls’ High School in Soweto according to official was sent to a shop on Thursday.
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi told journalists on Sunday that when the girl got home, she realised that she had forgotten some of the items she was asked to buy.
Officials said the teenager went back to the shop for those items but did not return. Her family reported her missing to the police.
A search was launched for her and her body was found on Friday in a bush at eMndeni Extension in Soweto.
“How do people sleep after committing such a barbaric, and cruel act? Indeed this is saddening beyond comprehension,” said Lesufi.
He adds that “We would like to send our sincere condolences to the family and the school community. We are shattered and really feel their pain during this time of grief”.
Rape is common in South Africa and efforts to bring such crimes down have been challenging.
Last year a prominent monarch in South Africa, the Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini proposed that convicted rapists be castrated.
He believed that it is the best way to end the wave of rape cases in the rainbow nation.