The Nigeria government has ordered further investigations into recent wave of mysterious deaths in the country’s northeast state of Kano.
Reports say more than 150 people have died in Kano with suspicions rife that this could be due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
But after preliminary assessment Nigerian government said the deaths were caused by complications from other health conditions and not the novel coronavirus.
A statement issued by a Kano state government spokesperson said the deaths were caused by complications from hypertension, diabetes, meningitis and acute malaria.
“The state government is concerned over what is happening. The ministry of health is already handling the situation. When they are through with the medical investigation, further necessary actions will be taken,” the statement said.
Kano under lockdown
President Muhammadu Buhari has imposed a two week lockdown on Kano state as investigations begin into the wave of deaths.
In a tweet the governor of Kano state Abdullahi Umar Ganduje said autopsies are also being carried out.
He urged residents in Kano to respect the lockdown, maintain social distancing and wash hands regularly.
Over the past week there have been reports of mysterious deaths in our great Kano State and I’m here to assure everyone that investigations are already ongoing. Autopsies are still being carried out but so far there’s been nothing to suggest that they are linked with #COVID19.
— Dr. Ganduje OFR. (@GovUmarGanduje) April 27, 2020
Meanwhile Nigeria has announced plans to ease movement restrictions imposed late last month on three key states in a bid to contain the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
In a televised speech President Muhammadu Buhari said he had approved a phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos and Ogun states effective from Monday, May 4, 2020.
Nigeria has recorded 1,182 COVID-19 cases with 35 deaths.