Monday, October 26, 2020

Congo’s Nobel Laureate doctor receives death threats

Must read

Cameroon: Seventh child dies after shooting attack on school

A 12-year-old girl died on Sunday from wounds sustained when gunmen stormed a school in the South West Region of Cameroon on Saturday and...

Guinea: Tension heightens after Alpha Condé secures third term

Tension is high in Guinea with some streets reportedly deserted as security forces patrol them to contain a post election violence. Supporters of the opposition...

Opposition in Seychelles wins presidential poll after 43 years

The opposition in the Seychelles has won the country's presidential election for the first time since 1977. Wavel Ramkalawan, an Anglican priest defeated incumbent President...

Nigeria: At least 69 killed in anti-police brutality protests

The Nigerian presidency has said that at least sixty-nine people have been killed so far across the country in protests against police brutality. A spokesman...
Staff Writer
Africa Feeds Staff writers are group of African journalists focused on reporting news about the continent and the rest of the world.
- Advertisement -

The life of a top Congolese doctor who won the Nobel Peace prize for his work treating war rape victims is in danger after a series of death threats, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said on Friday.

The threats, received in the form of phone calls to Dr. Denis Mukwege and his family as well as via social media, appeared to be linked to his outspoken criticism of violence against women and other human rights violations, another U.N. official said.

“His life seems to be at serious risk,” High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said in a statement, calling for an impartial investigation into the threats.

Mukwege received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2018 for his work as a gynaecologist at the Panzi hospital which receives thousands of women each year, many of them requiring surgery from sexual violence.

The hospital is located in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo where ethnic violence is rife, involving various militia and armed groups, as well as counter-operations by the army.

- Advertisement -

He has received death threats before and survived an assassination attempt in his family compound in 2012.

“The threats appear to be linked to his advocacy and the very robust positions he has taken on accountability, on protection of women as a result of what he has seen over two decades in the Panzi hospital,” said Rupert Colville, a spokesman at Bachelet’s office, adding that he had also recently criticised civilian attacks in South Kivu.

Congo’s government is officially responsible for Mukwege’s protection, although the U.N. peacekeeping mission in the country also provides some, Colville said. However, questions remain about the quality of his protection, he said, adding he needed 24 hour surveillance.

President Felix Tshisekedi last week called on his government to take all necessary measures to ensure his security and to open inquiries into the threats against him.

- Advertisement -

 

Chinese phones sold in Africa have built-in malware

 

Source: Reuters

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Cameroon: Seventh child dies after shooting attack on school

A 12-year-old girl died on Sunday from wounds sustained when gunmen stormed a school in the South West Region of Cameroon on Saturday and...

Guinea: Tension heightens after Alpha Condé secures third term

Tension is high in Guinea with some streets reportedly deserted as security forces patrol them to contain a post election violence. Supporters of the opposition...

Opposition in Seychelles wins presidential poll after 43 years

The opposition in the Seychelles has won the country's presidential election for the first time since 1977. Wavel Ramkalawan, an Anglican priest defeated incumbent President...

Nigeria: At least 69 killed in anti-police brutality protests

The Nigerian presidency has said that at least sixty-nine people have been killed so far across the country in protests against police brutality. A spokesman...

Libya: Warring factions sign accord for permanent ceasefire

The warring factions in Libya have signed an agreement for a permanent ceasefire to end the years of violence. The agreement was reached in Geneva...
- Advertisement -