Thursday, September 21, 2023

Ghana probes cause of quarry explosion that killed five

Must read

Elvis Adjetey
Elvis Adjetey
Elvis Adjetey is an experienced African journalist who has worked with top media brands in Ghana where he is based.

Investigations have begun into the cause of a quarry explosion that killed 5 people including a Chinese national in Ghana’s western region.

Ghana’s Minerals Commission said the Anto-Aboso quarry site was operating illegally at the time of the explosion.

The cause of the explosion is yet to be established but bodies of some workers who were at the site had been found scattered around.

Some of the bodies include Chinese nationals who are yet to be identified due to the dismembered nature of the bodies whilst three Ghanaians have been confirmed dead.

Police and officers of the National Fire Service and the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) have since been to the scene.

- Advertisement -

In a press statement issued on Monday, the Minerals Commission said the quarry company has no lease or permit to operate or undertake any operation.

“In this regard, pending the completion of a full investigation into the cause of the explosion, the enterprise had no lease, approval or permit to undertake any activity or operation at the site.”

“Consequently, the activity of the enterprise was illegal”, the statement said.

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -