Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Angolan rebels call on oil region to boycott election

Must read

WHO says coronavirus crisis will get “worse and worse and worse”

The World Health Organization has said that the coronavirus pandemic isn't easing down anytime soon if countries fail to adhere to strict healthcare precautions. The...

Malian jihadist war crimes trial begins in The Hague

In 2012, a coalition of Islamic extremists occupied the ancient city of Timbuktu in the Saharan desert. They imposed a brutal regime, murdering and...

Covid-19: Will Africa still be world’s fastest-growing consumer markets?

Prior to the pandemic, Africa was identified as one of the fastest-growing consumer markets in the world with household consumption growing even faster than...

South Africa: Youngest daughter of Nelson Mandela dies

The youngest daughter of South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela, Zindzi Mandela has died at the age of 59. The state broadcaster the SABC...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

President Jose Eduardo dos Santos is not exiting power after 38 years.

 

Separatist rebels have called on Angola’s oil region to boycott parliamentary elections in August that are likely to be the most closely watched in decades as President Jose Eduardo dos Santos ends 38 years in power.

The Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (FLEC), which fought a low-level insurgency for four decades in the thin enclave sandwiched between Democratic Republic of Congo and the Republic of Congo, said it would not participate in a “foreign” election.

“The FLEC does not accept the permanence of a foreign power on our territory, but does not want to interfere in the internal affairs of Angola,” the group said in a statement received by Reuters late on Tuesday.

- Advertisement -

“For this reason, FLEC urges all the people of Cabinda to not participate in presidential elections in Angola,” it said.

Dos Santos, 74, confirmed last week he would not run as the presidential candidate for the ruling People’s Movement for the Liberation of Angola, which has nominated 62-year-old Defence Minister Joao Lourenco.

FLEC’s planned boycott of the vote comes after a flare-up in violence in August and September last year in which FLEC said it had killed more than 50 soldiers. Angola’s government denies there have been clashes.

FLEC has stepped up activities since the death of its 88-year-old founder Nzita Tiago in June and reported three clashes with government troops in August.

- Advertisement -

It grabbed world headlines in January 2010 for a deadly attack on a bus carrying the Togo national soccer team during the African Nations Cup held in Angola but has not carried out a recent high-profile strike.

Oil output from Angola, which rivals Nigeria as Africa’s largest producer, has never been seriously threatened by the rebels because the crude is drilled offshore.

 

Source: Reuters

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

WHO says coronavirus crisis will get “worse and worse and worse”

The World Health Organization has said that the coronavirus pandemic isn't easing down anytime soon if countries fail to adhere to strict healthcare precautions. The...

Malian jihadist war crimes trial begins in The Hague

In 2012, a coalition of Islamic extremists occupied the ancient city of Timbuktu in the Saharan desert. They imposed a brutal regime, murdering and...

Covid-19: Will Africa still be world’s fastest-growing consumer markets?

Prior to the pandemic, Africa was identified as one of the fastest-growing consumer markets in the world with household consumption growing even faster than...

South Africa: Youngest daughter of Nelson Mandela dies

The youngest daughter of South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela, Zindzi Mandela has died at the age of 59. The state broadcaster the SABC...

Sudan: Women no longer need permission to travel with kids

New laws passed recently in Sudan have taken effect now allowing women to travel with their children without needing a permission from a male...