Boko Haram militants have confirmed that the over 100 school girls from Yobe state abducted last week are safe and would not be harmed in anyway.
A human rights activist, Aisha Wakil who is popularly called Mama Boko Haram told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the abducted schoolgirls are safe with someone she calls Habib, whom she called her son, and his friends.
She said that Nigerians have nothing to fear concerning the overall wellbeing of the pupils and cautioned against any panic.
The Nigerian government on Tuesday announced that it has launched an investigation into the abduction of schoolgirls by setting up a committee to find out how Boko Haram militants kidnapped the girls from their school in the northeastern part of the country.
This is the largest abduction by Boko Haram militants since over 200 Chibok school girls were kidnapped in 2014.
The information ministry said in a statement on Sunday that “The federal government has confirmed that 110 students of the Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe State, are so far unaccounted for, after insurgents believed to be from a faction of Boko Haram invaded their school on Monday.”
Wakil revealed in her interview with NAN that a faction of Boko Haram had contacted her, confirming to her that it had the 110 schoolgirls.
Boko Haram abduction of school girls from Chibok received worldwide condemnation and campaigns for their release. Some of the over 200 Chibok girls kidnapped have been release and rescued.