The South African government has announced an end to plans to expand its nuclear power plant.
That means it will not be adding the intended 9,600 megawatts (MW) of nuclear power by 2030.
South Africa will however initiate plans to add more capacity in natural gas, wind and other energy sources.
The country’s energy minister announced on Monday that it’s already installed capacity of 1,860 MW will not require an addition.
The government of former President Jacob Zuma had mooted the initial expansion plans. The country was due to sign a deal for that expansion last year but a court blocked the deal with Russia.
There were claims of lack of transparency in the said deal with Russia.
Energy Minister Jeff Radebe says there are “no plans to increase nuclear until 2030.” He made the disclosure while releasing the government’s new Integrated Resource Plan.
Radebe says there are new plans in place to expand other energy sources.
He details these plans that will cover providing additional capacity of 8,100 MW from wind and 8,100 MW from gas.
There will also be 5,670 MW from photovoltaic panels, 2,500 MW from hydro and 1,000 MW from coal all by 2030.
The country’s cabinet will approve the plan after public comments and observations after 60 days.