Investigators from the United Kingdom and the United States of America have reportedly arrived in Ghana to help search for some three girls kidnapped since last year.
Local news portal Citinewsroom reports that the investigators are to assist Ghana’s police officials find the kidnapped girls.
The investigators traveled to Ghana after petitions were sent to the UK and US on the matter.
A social media campaign to get the girls back has been launched with many Ghanaians expressing outrage about the incident.
The girls were kidnapped on August 17, 2018 but public outcry over the incident only intensified this month. They are between the ages of 18 and 21 years.
A Nigerian, Samuel Wilis has been arrested for allegedly kidnapping the young women in Western Ghana.
Police in Ghana said their investigations revealed that Wilis spearheaded the kidnapping of the three women.
The suspect was said to be mocking local investigators and not cooperating to reveal the location of the girls.
“Before his [the accused] arrest what actually happened was that there was a catalogue of calls between the accused person and victim(s) which were analysed and the police established connection of the accused person to the three kidnap cases,” a police commander Redeemer Vincent Dedjoe told reporters in Accra.
Dedjoe said Wilis contacted his alleged victims several times in a mobile conversation, promising them employment until their disappearance.
Ghana’s chief crime investigator Maame Yaa Tiwaa Addo-Danquah has assured families of the kidnapped girls that the police will find them.