Several villages in Mozambique have been flattened by Cyclone Kenneth, leaving many homeless.
Major buildings and essential facilities like including communications have been destroyed by the storm.
There is however a forecast of deadly flooding in the coming days due to heavy rains.
Cyclone Kenneth had already caused widespread power outages in Comoros’ Grande Comore, and the capital Moroni as well as on the island of Anjouan.
Mozambique was the second country the storm battered as it continues to recover from another deadly cyclone Idai which caused hundreds of deaths.
Officials say Cyclone Kenneth caused widespread damage to homes in Pemba city in northern part of the country.
Hundreds at risk
The government said 30,000 people have been evacuated to safety and hundreds are still at risk of being battered.
Homes and roads are damaged and destroyed, telephone poles and trees are down. Red Crescent volunteers are supporting the urgent needs of communities, providing first aid and assessing needs on the ground. pic.twitter.com/Fl0t5C3vh1ADVERTISEMENT
— IFRC Africa (@IFRCAfrica) April 25, 2019
The United Nations said many of the many of the communities were “run over by” the cyclone like “a bulldozer”.
The Southern and Eastern head of the Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), Gemma Connell said efforts are ongoing “to get people the supplies they need”.
She adds that “the weather is still bad, it is still raining. But thankfully the winds have died down.”
— OCHA Southern & Eastern Africa (@UNOCHA_ROSEA) April 27, 2019
Authorities in Mozambique fear due to heavy rains some major rivers as well as coastal waterways could overflow.