At least five Nigerian soldiers have been killed in an ambush carried out by Islamist insurgent group Boko Haram.
The attack took place in the northeast of the country, with reports of more than a dozen people sustaining injuries.
Reuters on Sunday quoted some sources saying the death toll could increase due to the number of soldiers still missing after the attack on Thursday in Damboa, in Borno state.
According to reports the soldiers went to the community to clear a Boko Haram camp, but were rather ambushed.
A Nigerian senior commanding officer, Brigadier General Bulama Biu has confirmed a battle between his troops and Boko Haram.
Biu however said there was “no casualty on the part of troops.”
In the past similar claims have been made when reports emerge of Boko Haram attacking soldiers.
Three fighters with armed vigilante group Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) have said the bodies of five soldiers had been recovered.
Last month Boko Haram militants reportedly killed seven Chadian soldiers and a local guard also in an ambush.
Boko Haram militants continue however to kill thousands of Nigerians and those within the Lake Chad basin region.
They have displaced millions during years of insurgency.