South Africa has announced plans to install a fence on its land border crossing with Zimbabwe.
The 40-kilometer fence is meant to prevent what South Africa says are undocumented migrants and people infected with the coronavirus from entering.
Implementing this according to South Africa would is part of emergency measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus.
The government said barrier is expected to be completed within a month but didn’t specify the costs.
Media report say the specifications of the 1.8 meter high fence at the Beitbridge border post have already been finalized.
The government has also appointment a contractor, the Department of Public Works said in a statement on Thursday.
South Africa has confirmed 150 coronavirus cases so far with Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, the Western Cape, Limpopo and Mpumalanga the only affected provinces for now.
But the Minister of Health Zweli Mkhize on Thursday said Covid-19 patients are recovering.
“We will formally inform the public on the number of recoveries. At this stage, most of the patients are recovering well,” Mkhize said in a statement.
A week ago the continent was only talking about 147 cases but now reports of more than 600 confirmed cases of in 34 countries.
Africa still has relatively lower rate of spread of the coronavirus but that could soon change according to the African Union.