Friday, March 5, 2021

Nigeria now says mass ‘mysterious deaths’ linked to coronavirus

Must read

2 Nigerians sentenced to death in Ghana for kidnapping four girls

Two Nigerians have been sentenced to death for their roles in the kidnapping and disappearance of missing girls in Ghana. A court in Ghana on...

Senegal: Tension heightens over arrest of opposition leader

There is heightened tension in Senegal following the arrest of opposition leader, Ousmane Sonko who is due to appear in court on Friday on...

Ghana: Court dismisses petition challenging re-election of Akufo-Addo

Ghana's Supreme Court has dismissed a petition filed by Ghana's former President, John Mahama challenging the re-election of incumbent President Nana Akufo-Addo. Mr. Mahama was...

Over 20 migrants die after they were thrown into sea off Djibouti

The United Nation has said more than 20 African migrants died after their smugglers threw them overboard off the coast of Djibouti. According to the...
Elvis Adjetey
Elvis Adjetey is an experienced African journalist who has worked with top media brands in Ghana where he is based.
- Advertisement -

Nigerian officials have now said that the recent wave of deaths in the country’s northeast state of Kano is linked to coronavirus.

Last month more than 150 people died in Kano with suspicions rife that this could be due to the outbreak of COVID-19.

But after preliminary assessment the Nigerian government said the deaths were caused by complications from other health conditions and not the novel coronavirus.

A statement at the time from the Kano state government said the deaths were caused by complications from hypertension, diabetes, meningitis and acute malaria.

But the head of the presidential task force on Coronavirus, Nasiru Sani Gwarzo has told journalists that samples taken from bodies were yet to be buried turned positive.

- Advertisement -

“It is necessary for people of Kano to wake up from their slumber… this is a serious issue,” he told journalist, adding the virus may have spread as people visited the sick and attended burials.

Nigeria has confirmed 2,558 cases of coronavirus with Kano the second leading state in the number of cases after the commercial city of Lagos.

Although cities like Lagos and Abuja are easing the lockdown restrictions, President Muhammadu Buhari has imposed a two week lockdown on Kano state.

- Advertisement -

Morgues in Ghana congested as families shun private burials

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

2 Nigerians sentenced to death in Ghana for kidnapping four girls

Two Nigerians have been sentenced to death for their roles in the kidnapping and disappearance of missing girls in Ghana. A court in Ghana on...

Senegal: Tension heightens over arrest of opposition leader

There is heightened tension in Senegal following the arrest of opposition leader, Ousmane Sonko who is due to appear in court on Friday on...

Ghana: Court dismisses petition challenging re-election of Akufo-Addo

Ghana's Supreme Court has dismissed a petition filed by Ghana's former President, John Mahama challenging the re-election of incumbent President Nana Akufo-Addo. Mr. Mahama was...

Over 20 migrants die after they were thrown into sea off Djibouti

The United Nation has said more than 20 African migrants died after their smugglers threw them overboard off the coast of Djibouti. According to the...

Over 7,000 Nigerian refugees flee to Niger

Some 7,600 Nigerian refugees have reportedly fled to Niger since January this year. The United Nations which made the revelation said the violence in north-western Nigeria has...
- Advertisement -