Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Guinea Bissau: 30 radio stations suspend broadcast

Must read

Mozambique President is Africa Oil & Power’s “Person of the Year”

Filipe Nyusi, President of Mozambique has been selected as Africa Oil & Power’s “Person of the Year” for 2020 by Africa Oil & Power. This...

Guinea closes border with neighbours ahead of election

Guinea officials have said the country's border with Senegal and Guinea-Bissau have been closed ahead of the general elections. Officials in government said the closure...

Serena Williams withdraws from French Open 2020

Three-time champion Serena Williams has withdrawn from the French Open because of an Achilles injury. The 39-year-old had been scheduled to play her second-round match...

Sierra Leone’s ex-president banned from leaving country

Sierra Leone's former president Ernest Bai Koroma is among several past government officials banned from leaving the country. He and other officials who served in...
Elvis Adjetey
Elvis Adjetey is an experienced African journalist who has worked with top media brands in Ghana where he is based.
- Advertisement -

Thirty radio stations in Guinea Bissau have suspended broadcast over an attack on a radio station.

The 24 hour radio blackout was in solidarity with Radio Capital FM which was attacked by some uniformed men.

Seven privately-owned and 23 community radio stations across Guinea Bissau took part in the act termed “a day of silence”.

About thirty journalists also gathered in front of Capital FM’s offices in Bissau to denounce the attack and to show support for the beleaguered radio station.

Radio Capital FM was crippled by an attack from uniformed men which resulted in the destruction of its equipment such as transmitter and mixing console.

- Advertisement -

The attack followed several threats to the station which its Management says were reported to the police.

“We needed to express our indignation; to send a strong message to the perpetrators that we will not be silenced.

It is also to alert the authorities that we will not accept anything short of thorough investigations into the incident and the prosecution of the culprits,” Indira Correia Balde, President of the journalists’ union Sindicato de Jornalistas e Técnicos de Comunicação Social (SINJOTECS), told the MFWA.

The Police have given no update on the state of the investigations they claim to be conducting.

- Advertisement -

SINJOTECS, national partner organisation of the MFWA which organised the radio blackout protest has given the police an ultimatum to give an update on the incident.

 

Guinea: 82-year old Condé picked by party to run for third term

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Mozambique President is Africa Oil & Power’s “Person of the Year”

Filipe Nyusi, President of Mozambique has been selected as Africa Oil & Power’s “Person of the Year” for 2020 by Africa Oil & Power. This...

Guinea closes border with neighbours ahead of election

Guinea officials have said the country's border with Senegal and Guinea-Bissau have been closed ahead of the general elections. Officials in government said the closure...

Serena Williams withdraws from French Open 2020

Three-time champion Serena Williams has withdrawn from the French Open because of an Achilles injury. The 39-year-old had been scheduled to play her second-round match...

Sierra Leone’s ex-president banned from leaving country

Sierra Leone's former president Ernest Bai Koroma is among several past government officials banned from leaving the country. He and other officials who served in...

Lifting sanctions on Mali may take longer than expected

On Sunday Mali’s transitional government leader, retired Col. Major Ba N’Daou named a new civilian prime minister. N’Daou appointed former foreign affairs minister of the...
- Advertisement -