Sunday, October 25, 2020

Barcelona sack manager after Bayern thrashing

Must read

Guinea: Tension heightens after Alpha Condé secures third term

Tension is high in Guinea with some streets reportedly deserted as security forces patrol them to contain a post election violence. Supporters of the opposition...

Opposition in Seychelles wins presidential poll after 43 years

The opposition in the Seychelles has won the country's presidential election for the first time since 1977. Wavel Ramkalawan, an Anglican priest defeated incumbent President...

Nigeria: At least 69 killed in anti-police brutality protests

The Nigerian presidency has said that at least sixty-nine people have been killed so far across the country in protests against police brutality. A spokesman...

Libya: Warring factions sign accord for permanent ceasefire

The warring factions in Libya have signed an agreement for a permanent ceasefire to end the years of violence. The agreement was reached in Geneva...
Staff Writer
Africa Feeds Staff writers are group of African journalists focused on reporting news about the continent and the rest of the world.
- Advertisement -

Barcelona have sacked manager Quique Setien, three days after his side’s humiliating 8-2 defeat by Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman, who played for the Catalan giants between 1989 and 1995, is set to replace Setien at the Nou Camp.

Former Real Betis manager Setien, 61, was appointed in January and took charge for just 25 matches.

Barca finished second in La Liga this season, five points behind Real Madrid.

A new coach will be announced “in the coming days,” said the club.

- Advertisement -

Barca’s thrashing by German champions Bayern on Friday was the fourth time in the past five years they have been knocked out at the quarter-final stage of Europe’s elite competition.

Setien, who replaced Ernesto Valverde at the Nou Camp, had said after the defeat that it was “time for us to review and take the decisions which are needed for the future”.

After he was sacked on Monday, Barcelona said: “This is the first decision within a wider restructuring of the first team.”

The club also announced next year’s presidential elections, scheduled for June, will be brought forward to March 15.

- Advertisement -

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique said he would be the “first to leave” if the club wished to make changes.

 

 

Source: BBC

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Guinea: Tension heightens after Alpha Condé secures third term

Tension is high in Guinea with some streets reportedly deserted as security forces patrol them to contain a post election violence. Supporters of the opposition...

Opposition in Seychelles wins presidential poll after 43 years

The opposition in the Seychelles has won the country's presidential election for the first time since 1977. Wavel Ramkalawan, an Anglican priest defeated incumbent President...

Nigeria: At least 69 killed in anti-police brutality protests

The Nigerian presidency has said that at least sixty-nine people have been killed so far across the country in protests against police brutality. A spokesman...

Libya: Warring factions sign accord for permanent ceasefire

The warring factions in Libya have signed an agreement for a permanent ceasefire to end the years of violence. The agreement was reached in Geneva...

Pep Guardiola: Major blow as Fernandinho faces four to six weeks on the sidelines

Ahead of matches yet to come both European and domestic, Premier League giants Manchester City have been issued a blow to their team as...
- Advertisement -