Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Guinea: Tension high as army commander is killed ahead of poll

Must read

US holds up announcement of Okonjo-Iweala as WTO boss

The United States is holding up the official announcement of Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the new boss of the World Trade Organisation. On Wednesday Okonjo-Iweala...

Nigeria’s Okonjo-Iweala becomes first African to head the WTO

Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has been voted as the new head of the World Trade Organization. She secured 104 out of 164 votes to become the...

South Africa’s president in self-quarantine after Covid-19 contact

President Cyril Ramaphosa is in self-quarantine after a guest at a dinner the president attended on Saturday tested positive for COVID-19, the presidency said...

Seychelles: The priest who became president after sixth attempt

In 1998, Wavel Ramkalawan, an Anglican cleric first contested as president of his country Seychelles. That was not going to be his last time but...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

The killing of a senior army officer in Guinea, Col Mamady Condé has heightened tension in the West African nation ahead of presidential election on Sunday.

Col. Condé’s death is coming just two days before the crucial presidential election which is already characterized by protests.

Local media reported that Armed men shot Col Condé dead on Friday at a military camp in Kindia, 130km (80 miles) north-east of the capital, Conakry.

According to reports there was an attempted mutiny with soldiers seizing weapons to free some of their colleagues who had been detained.

But authorities said that the situation has now been brought under control with investigations ongoing to arrest culpable soldiers.

- Advertisement -

Residents said they heard gunshots at 02:00 local time and heavy shooting continued for several hours.

Guinea’s minister of defence confirmed the death of Col Condé in a statement on Friday.

President Alpha Condé’s decision to seek re-election at the age of 82 sparked protests against him which has led to the death of more than 30 Guineans.

The protests were triggered by constitutional change in a referendum in March which allowed him to stand for a third term.

- Advertisement -

The Guinean leader has said that his candidacy for President is because of young people and women.

Ahead of Sunday’s crucial vote the country’s border with Senegal and Guinea-Bissau have been closed.

Officials in government said the closure was for security reasons as citizens prepare to vote on October 18.

Guinea: 82-year-old Condé says he is seeking re-election for the youth

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

US holds up announcement of Okonjo-Iweala as WTO boss

The United States is holding up the official announcement of Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the new boss of the World Trade Organisation. On Wednesday Okonjo-Iweala...

Nigeria’s Okonjo-Iweala becomes first African to head the WTO

Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has been voted as the new head of the World Trade Organization. She secured 104 out of 164 votes to become the...

South Africa’s president in self-quarantine after Covid-19 contact

President Cyril Ramaphosa is in self-quarantine after a guest at a dinner the president attended on Saturday tested positive for COVID-19, the presidency said...

Seychelles: The priest who became president after sixth attempt

In 1998, Wavel Ramkalawan, an Anglican cleric first contested as president of his country Seychelles. That was not going to be his last time but...

Philadelphia rocked by fresh unrest after police shooting

Hundreds of protesters in Philadelphia have marched through the city for a second night, demanding racial justice after police fatally shot a black man. The...
- Advertisement -