Tuesday, February 7, 2023

At least 50 worshippers in Nigeria killed by gunmen

Must read

Isaac Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.

Gunmen on Sunday stormed a catholic church in Nigeria’s Ondo state killing at least 50 people and injuring several others.

Local media reported that the attack on the worshippers took place during a mass service.

They had fired at worshippers and detonated explosives at the church. Those killed included women and children.

The identity and motive of the attackers was not immediately clear. Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the attack, calling it “heinous”.

Ondo state governor Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu is said to have cut short a trip to the capital Abuja and returned to Ondo after the attack.

- Advertisement -

“We shall commit every available resource to hunt down these assailants and make them pay,” he said in a statement.

Reuters reported that a doctor at a hospital in Owo, a town in the state in Nigeria’s southwest, said not less than 50 bodies had been moved to other health facilities.

Such attacks by gunmen are rare in southwestern Nigeria. The country though continues to witness attacks and kidnappings for ransom by armed gangs, mostly in its northwest.

 

Protests erupt in Ghana after social media activist was beaten to death

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -