Saturday, July 4, 2020

Rwanda largely responsible for Burundi crisis – Nkurunziza’s spokesperson

Must read

Ghanaian media lecturer wins global award on health reporting

A study on health reporting by Ghanaian journalists has won the James W. Markham top paper prize. The annual prize is given under the International...

Ugandan motorbike rider kills himself over a $40 ‘bribe’

Police in Uganda have launched an investigation into the operations of officers in the traffic department. It follows the death of a 29-year-old motorcycle taxi...

Covid-19: Ghanaian minister with virus resigns after flouting protocols

Ghana's Deputy Trade Minister Carlos Ahenkorah who tested positive for the coronavirus but still went ahead to deliberately socialize has resigned. The minister who is...

Twitter assures of ‘an edit button when everyone wears a mask’

Social media giant, Twitter has announced that it would give users edit button to their tweets only on one condition. According to a statement on...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

Burundian authorities insist that their northern neighbour, Rwanda, was largely responsible for the chaos and instability the country has been experiencing since April last year.

Burundi accuses Rwanda among other things of recruiting and training insurgents to engage in acts of instability. Other accusations border on the arming of anti-government elements and dispatching spies.

Willy Nyamitwe, a senior media advisor to President Nkurunziza, outlined how Rwanda had continually breached international laws by political and security interference during an presentation in Oslo.

Nyamitwe’s presentation titled ‘Current and future prospects for stability in the Great Lakes Region of Africa. Focus on Burundi and Rwanda,’ also blamed the attempted Coup d’Etat of 2015 and other armed attacks on Rwandan machinations.

‘‘The course of events and their culmination which is the failed coup of 13 May 2015 sufficiently prove that the acts of destabilization of the Republic of Burundi were prepared and conducted from the outside, and more specifically from the Republic of Rwanda, neighbouring country of Burundi and member of the East African Community like Burundi,’‘ he added.

- Advertisement -

Burundi also alleged that Rwanda had forcibly recruited refugees fleeing the instability it had sown in the country including minors and given them military training. They relied on international news reports and testimonies of some of the minors recruited to back their claims.

Nyamitwe quoted three international laws to back the view that Burundi was being ‘attacked’ by its neighbour. The United Nations Charter of 1945, ‘‘All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the purposes of the United Nations.’‘

The Convention of July 28th, 1951 on Refugees and the Peace and Security and Cooperation Framework for the DRC and the Region – Addis Ababa, February 24, 2013; were the two other legislations he quoted – both spoke against outside interference of one country in affairs of the other.

Since April 2015 when president Nkurunziza said he was running for a third term in elections that he eventually won, over 400 people have been killed in gun battles in the country. Opponents however insist the third term was unconstitutional.

- Advertisement -

As at March 2016, two percent of the population – 220,000 people – were said to have fled to neighboring countries particularly Rwanda, which was torn apart by genocide in 1994. Like Burundi, Rwanda has an ethnic Hutu majority and Tutsi minority.

European nations and the United States have led efforts to put pressure on Bujumbura with aid cuts. Brussels announced on March 14 it was suspending direct financial support to the government, affecting a package worth about 432 million euros ($480 million) for 2014 to 2020, although emergency aid would continue.

To resume funding, the EU said Burundi had to free up the media, deal with rights abuses and launch genuine peace talks.

 

Source: Africanews

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Ghanaian media lecturer wins global award on health reporting

A study on health reporting by Ghanaian journalists has won the James W. Markham top paper prize. The annual prize is given under the International...

Ugandan motorbike rider kills himself over a $40 ‘bribe’

Police in Uganda have launched an investigation into the operations of officers in the traffic department. It follows the death of a 29-year-old motorcycle taxi...

Covid-19: Ghanaian minister with virus resigns after flouting protocols

Ghana's Deputy Trade Minister Carlos Ahenkorah who tested positive for the coronavirus but still went ahead to deliberately socialize has resigned. The minister who is...

Twitter assures of ‘an edit button when everyone wears a mask’

Social media giant, Twitter has announced that it would give users edit button to their tweets only on one condition. According to a statement on...

Covid-19 pandemic costs Africa travel, tourism almost $55 bln

African countries have lost almost $55 billion in travel and tourism revenues in three months due to the coronavirus pandemic, the African Union (AU)...