The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo has been accused of recruiting militants to crackdown on protesters who were demanding the exit of President Joseph Kabila.
Rights group, Human Rights Watch on Monday claimed that the said recruitment and crackdown of protesters resulted in many deaths.
The Kabila regime is reported to have recruited fighters previously active in the M23 rebel group from Uganda and Rwanda to suppress the December 2016 demonstrations.
President Kabila refused to step down last year although his tenure ended, a move that sparked a lot of protests.
In a report the rights group said “senior security force officers in the Democratic Republic of Congo mobilized over 200 former M23 rebel fighters from neighboring countries to quash protests against President Joseph Kabila in December 2016.”
Joseph Kabila took over as president from his father Laurent who was assassinated in 2001.