Bodies suspected to be that of three girls who went missing in Western Ghana have been found.
The girls were reportedly kidnapped in the town of Takoradi last year.
Their supposed bodies were retrieved from a manhole with one local news outlet Starr FM reporting that there were signs suggesting massive sexual abuse.
Police sources, according to Starr FM say a key suspect led the special operation team to the scene during the exercise.
The three girls Ruthlove Quayson, Priscilla Blessing Bentum and Priscilla Koranchie were kidnapped between August and December 2018.
Two Nigerian suspects are standing trial over the kidnapping of the girls.
Citi FM also in Accra reported that police investigating the three kidnapped girls case retrieved human parts from a sewage system behind the house of the accused suspect, Sam Udoetuk Wills.
The news outlet quoted an eyewitness as saying that “In the afternoon we saw some CID personnel around and around 5pm we saw the Regional Police Commander and his team including the kidnapper entering the house. Yes, I can confirm this is the very house where the suspect was living. We used to see him around.”
Police to verify bodies
Ghanaian police officials have said they are now sending the bodies for forensic evaluation.
UPDATE: Official Police statement on Takoradi Kidnapped girls pic.twitter.com/3dR9cA0CSZ
— Saddick Adams (@SaddickAdams) August 2, 2019
Ghanaian officials had said investigators from the United Kingdom and the United States of America were helping to search for some girls.
But many Ghanaians were angry at the posture of the security agencies in rescuing the girls.
There were renewed agitations when the government again failed to help find the girls but was able to assist in rescuing some Canadian girls also kidnapped in Ghana’s Ashanti region.
Parents and relations of the kidnapped girls for months have been praying for the safe return of the girls.