There have been more bloodshed in Sudan after four protesters were killed and many injured by gunfire in the Sudanese city of Omdurman on Thursday.
Opposition medics said the killings took place as hundreds of thousands took to the streets to pile pressure on the country’s military rulers.
The protesters were on the streets after organisers called for a million-person march in cities across Sudan in response to the killing of young protesters in El-Obeid, southwest of the capital Khartoum, earlier this week.
Thursday’s killings however came at a time opposition leaders revealed that progress has been made in talks with the military on a deal to form a new government.
“The agreement is really now just around the corner,” Satea al-Hajj, a leader in the Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC) coalition of opposition groups, said in a press conference in Khartoum on Thursday.
Protesters have been demanding a civilian regime after the toppling of long time leader, Omar al-Bashir in April.
There are indications there could be more protests in the coming days with more calls for nationwide protests.
Meanwhile Sudan’s military leadership has said eight senior military officers will face charges over the deadly crackdown on protesters in June.
These soldiers are to be charged with crimes against humanity for their roles in the death of some protesters on June 3.