Saturday, July 4, 2020

Nigeria to fly home 600 citizens from SA due to violent attacks

Must read

Ghanaian media lecturer wins global award on health reporting

A study on health reporting by Ghanaian journalists has won the James W. Markham top paper prize. The annual prize is given under the International...

Ugandan motorbike rider kills himself over a $40 ‘bribe’

Police in Uganda have launched an investigation into the operations of officers in the traffic department. It follows the death of a 29-year-old motorcycle taxi...

Covid-19: Ghanaian minister with virus resigns after flouting protocols

Ghana's Deputy Trade Minister Carlos Ahenkorah who tested positive for the coronavirus but still went ahead to deliberately socialize has resigned. The minister who is...

Twitter assures of ‘an edit button when everyone wears a mask’

Social media giant, Twitter has announced that it would give users edit button to their tweets only on one condition. According to a statement on...
Staff Writer
Africa Feeds Staff writers are group of African journalists focused on reporting news about the continent and the rest of the world.
- Advertisement -

Nigeria’s government has announced plans to repatriate 600 of it’s citizens from South Africa following a surge in xenophobic violence.

Nigerians have been the worst affected by the attacks from locals on African migrants in South Africa.

The development has impacted diplomatic relations between the two countries. But Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari is due to visit South Africa next month.

BBC reports that Nigeria’s Consul General in Johannesburg has revealed that some of the Nigerians will leave on two flights on Wednesday.

Nigeria’s Consul General Godwin Adama told the BBC only those under distress as a result of the attacks would leave the country.

- Advertisement -

Ten people, including two foreigners, were killed in Johannesburg last week following mob attack on foreign-owned businesses.

Most of the attacks have been sparked by locals against against the employment of foreigners.

On Sunday, two people were killed as violence erupted in Johannesburg.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has condemned the violence. He said his government will “not allow sporadic lawlessness and violence to disrupt the safety and livelihoods of millions of South Africans”.

- Advertisement -

“The majority of foreign nationals in our country… are law-abiding and have the right to conduct their lives and businesses in peace,” the president added.

On Sunday, South African bishops from the Catholic church demanded action from the SA government over the violent attacks on African migrants.

The Catholic Bishops dismissed claims by the South African government that the attacks on foreigners were not xenophobic.

 

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Ghanaian media lecturer wins global award on health reporting

A study on health reporting by Ghanaian journalists has won the James W. Markham top paper prize. The annual prize is given under the International...

Ugandan motorbike rider kills himself over a $40 ‘bribe’

Police in Uganda have launched an investigation into the operations of officers in the traffic department. It follows the death of a 29-year-old motorcycle taxi...

Covid-19: Ghanaian minister with virus resigns after flouting protocols

Ghana's Deputy Trade Minister Carlos Ahenkorah who tested positive for the coronavirus but still went ahead to deliberately socialize has resigned. The minister who is...

Twitter assures of ‘an edit button when everyone wears a mask’

Social media giant, Twitter has announced that it would give users edit button to their tweets only on one condition. According to a statement on...

Covid-19 pandemic costs Africa travel, tourism almost $55 bln

African countries have lost almost $55 billion in travel and tourism revenues in three months due to the coronavirus pandemic, the African Union (AU)...