Wednesday, August 5, 2020

American museum returns stolen ancient Egyptian coffin

Must read

African stars seek support for victims of Beirut explosion

Many African stars are rallying for support for victims of Tuesday’s bomb blast in the Lebanese capital Beirut. Former Chelsea and Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien,...

Ghanaian students demonstrate over strict exams supervision

Final year students of the Tweneboa Kodua Senior High School in Ghana’s Ashanti region have demonstrated against strict supervision in the ongoing West African...

Iker Casillas retires from football

Former Real Madrid and Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas has retired from football at the age of 39. Casillas made 725 appearances for Real during a...

SA Innovation Summit 2020 to take Africa to the World

For the very first time in its 13-year history, the SA Innovation Summit (SAIS) – the largest start-up event in Africa – will be...
Staff Writer
Africa Feeds Staff writers are group of African journalists focused on reporting news about the continent and the rest of the world.
- Advertisement -

Authorities in the United States of America on Wednesday returned a stolen ancient coffin to Egypt.

This is happening two years after the coffin was acquired by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

The 2,100-year-old coffin of a priest called Nedjemankh got featured in an exhibit housing artefacts from Egypt.

The Museum bought the stolen antique from a global art trafficking network, which used fraudulent documents.

Officials said the gold coffin was looted and smuggled out of Egypt in 2011.

- Advertisement -

The stolen coffin dates back to the 1st Century BC. It was bought for $4m from a Parisian art dealer.

According to officials the museum that bought it was given a forged 1971 Egyptian export licence, among other false documents.

Officials said the grand and ornate coffin had been buried in the country’s Minya region for 2,000 years before it was stolen in 2011.

Reuters quotes Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs Sameh Hassan Shoukry as saying “This is not only for Egyptians but this is for our common human heritage.”

- Advertisement -

Manhattan District Attorney, Cyrus Vance also said “Thus far our investigation has determined that this coffin is just one of hundreds of antiquities stolen by the same multinational trafficking ring.”

Vance further said at a repatriation ceremony in New York on Wednesday that there could be more similar seizures.

 

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

African stars seek support for victims of Beirut explosion

Many African stars are rallying for support for victims of Tuesday’s bomb blast in the Lebanese capital Beirut. Former Chelsea and Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien,...

Ghanaian students demonstrate over strict exams supervision

Final year students of the Tweneboa Kodua Senior High School in Ghana’s Ashanti region have demonstrated against strict supervision in the ongoing West African...

Iker Casillas retires from football

Former Real Madrid and Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas has retired from football at the age of 39. Casillas made 725 appearances for Real during a...

SA Innovation Summit 2020 to take Africa to the World

For the very first time in its 13-year history, the SA Innovation Summit (SAIS) – the largest start-up event in Africa – will be...

Ghana: Businesses sack 42k workers, cut wages for 770k due to Covid-19

The shock caused by the COVID-19 pandemic has had considerable impacts on Ghanaian businesses, forcing many firms to cut costs by reducing staff hours,...