The UN-backed Libyan government has pulled out of peace talks in Geneva after eastern Libyan forces attacked the sea port of Libya’s capital on Tuesday.
Shipping in the sea port was also targeted and it forced the national oil company to order all fuel tankers to be evacuated.
The eastern-based Libya National Army (LNA) faction is led by Khalifa Haftar. An official from his group said the latest attack targeted a Turkish vessel bringing in arms.
The latest attack could scatter any plans to calm hostilities and in the battle for control of Tripoli.
The two sides have been fighting for months now and were holding an UN-brokered talks in Geneva.
But the U.N. Libya envoy Ghassan Salame told reporters that he was hopeful of making progress.
“So while the situation on the ground remains a situation where the truce is very fragile… nobody has so far reneged on the principle of accepting the truce and the political process is trying to find a way to move forward,” he said.
Libya has an UN-backed unity government which has failed to assert its authority, leading to the emergence of a militia led by a former officer in Muammar Gaddafi’s army, Khalifa Haftar.
Haftar wants to topple the internationally recognized government in Tripoli.
The battle over Tripoli which started in April last year has led to the displacement of millions with thousands sustaining injuries.
Eastern Libyan forces have been marching towards the centre of Tripoli for months now seeking to take control of the city.
Berlin hosted talks between the warring factions in Libya this month hoping to ensure there is cease fire and peace in the north African country.
At that meeting world leaders agreed that a UN arms embargo be enforced.
The agreement was signed by 16 states and organizations and sets out plans for international efforts to monitor its implementation.
Enforcing the embargo has failed for almost a decade plunging Libya into further crisis.