Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Egypt confirms 12 new coronavirus cases on a cruise boat

Must read

WHO says coronavirus crisis will get “worse and worse and worse”

The World Health Organization has said that the coronavirus pandemic isn't easing down anytime soon if countries fail to adhere to strict healthcare precautions. The...

Malian jihadist war crimes trial begins in The Hague

In 2012, a coalition of Islamic extremists occupied the ancient city of Timbuktu in the Saharan desert. They imposed a brutal regime, murdering and...

Covid-19: Will Africa still be world’s fastest-growing consumer markets?

Prior to the pandemic, Africa was identified as one of the fastest-growing consumer markets in the world with household consumption growing even faster than...

South Africa: Youngest daughter of Nelson Mandela dies

The youngest daughter of South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela, Zindzi Mandela has died at the age of 59. The state broadcaster the SABC...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

Egypt’s health ministry has confirmed 12 more cases of coronavirus among occupants of a cruise boat on the River Nile.

The boat was heading to the southern city of Aswan from Luxor, according to state TV reports.

Egypt reported Africa’s first coronavirus case and had previously reported three other cases with one fully recovered after treatment.

So far Egypt’s number of confirmed cases has risen to 15 with the latest new reporting putting the total number of cases in Africa above 35.

Egypt (15), Algeria (17) and Nigeria (1) Tunisia (1) Morocco (1), South Africa (1) and Senegal (4) are the cases so far.

- Advertisement -

Already the impact of the outbreak is being felt with African Airlines reportedly losing $400m due to suspension and cancellation of flights to and from China since the outbreak of the coronavirus.

Most airlines suspended and even canceled flights to and from China in February when the outbreak became serious.

Airlines like South African Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Air Tanzania, Air Mauritius, EgyptAir, RwandAir and Kenya Airways announced the suspension of flights last month.

Last year the airlines posted losses of $100m and this year’s figure could be higher due to the current outbreak.

- Advertisement -

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

WHO says coronavirus crisis will get “worse and worse and worse”

The World Health Organization has said that the coronavirus pandemic isn't easing down anytime soon if countries fail to adhere to strict healthcare precautions. The...

Malian jihadist war crimes trial begins in The Hague

In 2012, a coalition of Islamic extremists occupied the ancient city of Timbuktu in the Saharan desert. They imposed a brutal regime, murdering and...

Covid-19: Will Africa still be world’s fastest-growing consumer markets?

Prior to the pandemic, Africa was identified as one of the fastest-growing consumer markets in the world with household consumption growing even faster than...

South Africa: Youngest daughter of Nelson Mandela dies

The youngest daughter of South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela, Zindzi Mandela has died at the age of 59. The state broadcaster the SABC...

Sudan: Women no longer need permission to travel with kids

New laws passed recently in Sudan have taken effect now allowing women to travel with their children without needing a permission from a male...