Ghana’s Health Service (GHS) officials on Thursday said some of the over 200 Ghanaians who returned from Kuwait days ago tested positive for coronavirus.
There were earlier reports that the returnees had tested negative but the director of Public Health at the Service, Dr Badu Sakordie told journalists that he had been informed that some actually tested positive.
“There are indications that some of them have tested positive. We will follow up and when we have the full report, we will share appropriately,” he said.
Officials are however unaware of the exact number of returnees that tested positive for the virus.
These over 200 returnees were part of the first batch of Ghanaians resident abroad who applied to be brought back home due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
They are currently on a 14-day mandatory quarantine as undergo screening and tests for the virus.
Ghana has recorded over 7,000 cases of coronavirus and has closed it borders as part of efforts to contain the spread of the virus.
But the information minister, Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah said cabinet allowed the deportees into the country in spite of the border closure with cost being taken care of by the Kuwaiti government.
Ghana says it is also collating data on some of its citizens still stranded in parts of the world and would facilitate their return home.