Wednesday, September 30, 2020

African stars seek support for victims of Beirut explosion

Must read

Mozambique President is Africa Oil & Power’s “Person of the Year”

Filipe Nyusi, President of Mozambique has been selected as Africa Oil & Power’s “Person of the Year” for 2020 by Africa Oil & Power. This...

Guinea closes border with neighbours ahead of election

Guinea officials have said the country's border with Senegal and Guinea-Bissau have been closed ahead of the general elections. Officials in government said the closure...

Serena Williams withdraws from French Open 2020

Three-time champion Serena Williams has withdrawn from the French Open because of an Achilles injury. The 39-year-old had been scheduled to play her second-round match...

Sierra Leone’s ex-president banned from leaving country

Sierra Leone's former president Ernest Bai Koroma is among several past government officials banned from leaving the country. He and other officials who served in...
Elvis Adjetey
Elvis Adjetey is an experienced African journalist who has worked with top media brands in Ghana where he is based.
- Advertisement -

Many African stars are rallying for support for victims of Tuesday’s bomb blast in the Lebanese capital Beirut.

Former Chelsea and Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien, Liverpool and Egypt star Mohamed Salah and Algerian and Manchester City’s Riyad Mahrez have joined other African stars to sympathise with victims of the Beirut blast.

At least at least 100 people have been reportedly killed and some 4,000 wounded in a massive explosion at the port in Beirut.

Tuesday’s explosion sent shockwaves across the city, causing widespread damage even on the outskirts of the capital.

The cause of the explosion was not immediately known.

- Advertisement -

But officials have linked the explosion to some 2,700 tonnes of confiscated ammonium nitrate that were being stored in a warehouse at the port for six years.

Lebanese President Michel Aoun assembled the country’s High Defence Council following the explosion.

President Michel Aoun has also called for an emergency cabinet meeting on Wednesday and said a two-week state of emergency should be declared.

Officials expect the death toll to rise as emergency workers rescue people and remove the dead.

- Advertisement -

Rescue workers in Lebanon are searching for more than a hundred people who are missing after a huge explosion.

 

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Mozambique President is Africa Oil & Power’s “Person of the Year”

Filipe Nyusi, President of Mozambique has been selected as Africa Oil & Power’s “Person of the Year” for 2020 by Africa Oil & Power. This...

Guinea closes border with neighbours ahead of election

Guinea officials have said the country's border with Senegal and Guinea-Bissau have been closed ahead of the general elections. Officials in government said the closure...

Serena Williams withdraws from French Open 2020

Three-time champion Serena Williams has withdrawn from the French Open because of an Achilles injury. The 39-year-old had been scheduled to play her second-round match...

Sierra Leone’s ex-president banned from leaving country

Sierra Leone's former president Ernest Bai Koroma is among several past government officials banned from leaving the country. He and other officials who served in...

Lifting sanctions on Mali may take longer than expected

On Sunday Mali’s transitional government leader, retired Col. Major Ba N’Daou named a new civilian prime minister. N’Daou appointed former foreign affairs minister of the...
- Advertisement -