Saturday, January 23, 2021

Pope Francis calls for prayers for Ethiopia amid Tigray crisis

Must read

UK bans travellers from Tanzania and DRC

The UK has banned all arrivals from Tanzania and Democratic Republic of Congo from Friday January 22. It follows the earlier ban on passengers from 11...

Amanda Gorman: The 22-year-old poet at Biden’s inauguration

Amanda Gorman "screamed and danced her head off" when she found out she had been chosen to read one of her poems at Joe...

Joe Biden takes the helm as 46th US president

Joe Biden became the 46th president of the United States on Wednesday, declaring that “democracy has prevailed” as he took the helm of a...

Ghana: Six health workers arrested for baby harvesting

Six health care workers and five others have been arrested for baby harvesting and child trafficking in Ghana. They were arrested in a joint operation...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

Pope Francis has called for the world to pray for Ethiopia as fighting between federal forces and rebels in Tigray region intensifies.

In a message on Twitter, the Pope invited “everyone to pray for Ethiopia where armed clashes have intensified and are causing a serious humanitarian situation.”

He added that “I appeal to the parties in conflict so that the violence might ceases, life may be safeguarded and the populations can regain.”

On Saturday Ethiopian military forces reportedly started their planned offensive on rebels in the Tigray region.

Reuters reported that the leader of rebellious forces said on Saturday that Ethiopian government forces had began the offensive to capture the regional capital, Mekelle.

- Advertisement -

Debretsion Gebremichael, leader of the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) was quoted by Reuters as saying that Mekelle was under “heavy bombardment”.

Reuters said that confirmation was given in a text message from Gebremicheal.

Meanwhile Billene Seyoum, a spokeswoman for the Prime Minister’s office, has said that Ethiopian forces would not “bombard” civilian areas.

Seyoum noted that “the safety of Ethiopians in Mekelle and Tigray region continues as priority for the federal government.”

- Advertisement -

Thousands have fled Tigray due to the conflict, resulting in a humanitarian crisis, according to the United Nations.

 

WHO chief denies supporting Tigray forces in Ethiopia

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

UK bans travellers from Tanzania and DRC

The UK has banned all arrivals from Tanzania and Democratic Republic of Congo from Friday January 22. It follows the earlier ban on passengers from 11...

Amanda Gorman: The 22-year-old poet at Biden’s inauguration

Amanda Gorman "screamed and danced her head off" when she found out she had been chosen to read one of her poems at Joe...

Joe Biden takes the helm as 46th US president

Joe Biden became the 46th president of the United States on Wednesday, declaring that “democracy has prevailed” as he took the helm of a...

Ghana: Six health workers arrested for baby harvesting

Six health care workers and five others have been arrested for baby harvesting and child trafficking in Ghana. They were arrested in a joint operation...

Zimbabwe’s foreign affairs minister dies from Covid-19

Zimbabwe's Foreign Affairs Minister, Sibusiso Moyo, has died from Covid-19, according to a statement from the government. The minister died from the virus at a...
- Advertisement -