Police in South Africa are coming under pressure to find those behind those responsible for the killing of 15 people in a bar in Soweto over the weekend.
Four other people were also shot in a bar in Pietermaritzburg in Kwa-Zulu Natal, but police are yet to link both incidents.
Besides the 15 people who were shot dead at the local tavern in Nomzamo Park, Soweto, nine others were critically injured and in hospital.
According to Gauteng Police Commissioner Elias Mawela around 00:30 police were notified of a shootout taking place at a tavern in Nomzamo Park.
Police said they found that a 9mm firearm had been used as several cartridges were found on the scene.
“We believe that there must have been more than one shooter, at this stage we don’t know what the motive for the shooting was, but I can say that the scene looks like the shooters came here with an intention to kill but randomly so,” said Mawela.
Mawela also revealed, according to News24 reporting that most of the people shot at were males.
On Saturday night at 20:30, a group of people who were having drinks at a tavern at Sweetwaters in Pietermaritzburg were also attacked when a vehicle arrived and parked outside.
Two males jumped out of the vehicle, entered the tavern, and fired random shots at the patrons, according to police.
“A total of 12 people were shot. Two people were declared dead at the scene and the other two died in hospital. Another eight people are still in hospital. The suspects fled the scene after the incident,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Nqobile Gwala, a security official.
The minister for police, Bheki Cele, is due to receive a report from local officers about the shooting but the killers and their motives are as yet unknown.
South Africans are now demanding for arrests to be made and that the police will ensure that it doesn’t happen again.
South Africa has one of the highest crimes rates in the world.