Monday, June 24, 2024

Seven Nigerian university students killed by generator fumes

Must read

Isaac Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.

Fumes from a generator inside a music studio in Nigeria has reportedly killed seven university students.

They died after inhaling the fumes from the generator in the Amarata area of Yenagoa, Bayelsa state.

Six bodies were found on Tuesday morning, and one person found unconscious later died at the hospital, according to local media reporting.

The victims were undergraduates from Niger Delta University (NDU) in Amassoma who record music to support their education.

The students were working in the recording studio owned by one of the victims when the tragic incident happened, local media reports.

- Advertisement -

The students had worked overnight using their generators due to inadequate power supply.

But on Tuesday, the day when the incident happened, the victims fell asleep with the generator running inside the studio.

They forgot to switch it off before dozing off, local media reported.

Police spokesperson Musa Mohammed was quoted by the BBC as saying that “Investigations are being carried out but based on what we have seen, carbon monoxide poisoning due to generator fumes is a possible cause.”

Nigeria has a power crisis that constantly plunges the country into darkness and many rely on backup generators to keep their lights on.

Top 10 Sub-Saharan Africa universities for 2023

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -