Wednesday, April 14, 2021

[Video] – SA tourists survive deadly Egypt bus blast

Must read

Somalia: Lawmakers vote to extend President’s term by two years

Somalia’s Lower House of Parliament has voted to approve a bill to extend President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo’s term in office by two years. The controversial...

Why Twitter picked Ghana as its head quarters in Africa

Social media giant, Twitter has announced that Ghana will host its Africa head quarters. The company's co-founder Jack Dorsey made the announcement on Twitter on...

Zambian athletes fight stigma against albinos, disabled persons

Lassam Katongo, a Zambian athlete based in the capital, Lusaka, shows off his trophies and medals earned from some of the international athletic games...

Uganda, Tanzania sign $3.5bn deal with global oil firms

The governments of Tanzania and Uganda on Sunday signed a long awaited oil deal with international oil firms—French Total E&P, and China’s Cnooc. The deal...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

The 24 South African tourists who survived a bus explosion on Sunday returned home on Monday.

The South Africa’s Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) made the announcement hours after the incident.

24 out of the 28 tourists arrived at OR Tambo International Airport on Monday morning, according to Dirco officials.

At least 16 people were injured in the blast which occurred near Egypt’s pyramids in Giza.

A device went off close to the Grand Egyptian Museum fence while the bus carrying the tourists was passing.

- Advertisement -

Although no group has claimed responsibility yet, such attacks are usually carried out by Islamist militants who continue to attack tourists in Egypt.

Spokesperson for Dirco, Ndivhuwo Mabaya told News24 that “Four have remained behind in Egypt. Three are being treated in hospital, while one lady remained behind to assist her [injured] husband.”

“We will continue to provide consular support,” Mabaya said.

- Advertisement -

The location of the blast is noted for such attacks, which continues to be a challenge for Egyptian officials.

Last year three tourists from Vietnam and their Egyptian tour guide were killed after a bomb went off on a roadside in Egypt’s Giza region.

The Pyramids are popular tourist attraction sites in Egypt.

The tourism sector is still recovering after tourist numbers dropped in the wake of a 2011 uprising.

Egyptian officials continue to struggle to make some tourist sites safer for tourists.

 

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Somalia: Lawmakers vote to extend President’s term by two years

Somalia’s Lower House of Parliament has voted to approve a bill to extend President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo’s term in office by two years. The controversial...

Why Twitter picked Ghana as its head quarters in Africa

Social media giant, Twitter has announced that Ghana will host its Africa head quarters. The company's co-founder Jack Dorsey made the announcement on Twitter on...

Zambian athletes fight stigma against albinos, disabled persons

Lassam Katongo, a Zambian athlete based in the capital, Lusaka, shows off his trophies and medals earned from some of the international athletic games...

Uganda, Tanzania sign $3.5bn deal with global oil firms

The governments of Tanzania and Uganda on Sunday signed a long awaited oil deal with international oil firms—French Total E&P, and China’s Cnooc. The deal...

Man with snails, ‘prekese’ in luggage from Ghana detained at JFK Airport

A man was detained briefly last week after arriving at JFK Airport with luggage full of snails, dried beef, turkey berry, carrot, oxtail, medicinal...
- Advertisement -