Nigeria’s government has summoned the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe, over the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
The country’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama issued the summons after weeks of reports of continued attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
For months now, Nigerians have been protesting what they call xenophobic attacks on their nationals in South Africa.
Some 800,000 Nigerians reside in South Africa and some 128 of them have been killed in attacks since 2016.
The latest attacks on foreigners in South Africa started last week after a taxi driver was murdered by an alleged drug dealer in Pretoria.
South Africa media reported that the said killer was speculated to a Nigerian. That sparked protest followed by looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses.
The police in South Africa have struggled to bring the attacks under control.
South African officials have also said the chaos and attacks are purely crime related and not xenophobia.
Dozens of people were arrested in Johannesburg on Monday after the latest looting of shops and attacks.
The Nigeria High Commission in South Africa, on Tuesday, urged Nigerians affected by the xenophobic attacks to report their situation to the Commission.