Friday, July 10, 2020

Guinea Bissau President ‘sacks his government’

Must read

Ghana: Airport workers protest ‘privatization’ of company

Workers of the Ghana Airport Company are up in arms against the government over plans to hand over management of the company to Turkish...

Nigeria suspends reopening of schools as COVID-19 cases soar

The Nigerian government has suspended plans to reopen the country’s schools in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Last week, the Nigerian government announced that...

Ivory Coast Prime Minister dies after falling ill at cabinet meeting

Ivory Coast Prime Minister Amadou Gon Coulibaly has died on Wednesday aged 61. President Alassane Ouattara announced on state TV that Coulibaly was unwell during...

Ghana’s Chief Justice goes into self-isolation over Covid-19

Ghana's chief justice, Kwasi Anin-Yeboah has gone into self-isolation in compliance with Covid-19 protocols. According to a circular to high court judges, the chief justice...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

President of Guinea Bissau Jose Mario Vaz on Monday sacked his entire government.

He said the sacking was “with immediate effect.” The President’s decision was read out on national radio.

President Vaz justified the sacking of the government saying it was as a result of a “serious political crisis” in the country.

The radio announcement said the president considers the crisis serious which had “prevented the normal operation of some institutions”.

Elections are due in Guinea Bissau next month and the latest move cast doubts over that process.

- Advertisement -

Over the weekend a protester was killed and several others injured during a demonstration calling for a delay to the November 24 election.

Opposition parties want the election delayed to allow for the cleaning up of the voters register.

The President will contest the next election however as an independent candidate and will be challenged by 11 other candidates.

Mr Vaz, 62, has been in office since 2014 after he a tight presidential contest that he won in a run-off.

- Advertisement -

His five-year mandate ended on 23 June but the president is staying on temporarily under a mediation plan forged by the 15-nation regional bloc Ecowas.

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Ghana: Airport workers protest ‘privatization’ of company

Workers of the Ghana Airport Company are up in arms against the government over plans to hand over management of the company to Turkish...

Nigeria suspends reopening of schools as COVID-19 cases soar

The Nigerian government has suspended plans to reopen the country’s schools in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Last week, the Nigerian government announced that...

Ivory Coast Prime Minister dies after falling ill at cabinet meeting

Ivory Coast Prime Minister Amadou Gon Coulibaly has died on Wednesday aged 61. President Alassane Ouattara announced on state TV that Coulibaly was unwell during...

Ghana’s Chief Justice goes into self-isolation over Covid-19

Ghana's chief justice, Kwasi Anin-Yeboah has gone into self-isolation in compliance with Covid-19 protocols. According to a circular to high court judges, the chief justice...

Kenyan sports minister Mohamed to bid for top WTO job

Kenya’s sports and culture minister Amina Mohamed will run to be the next Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO), a spokesperson said on...