Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Burkina Faso: Families look for missing relatives after mine attack

Must read

African stars seek support for victims of Beirut explosion

Many African stars are rallying for support for victims of Tuesday’s bomb blast in the Lebanese capital Beirut. Former Chelsea and Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien,...

Ghanaian students demonstrate over strict exams supervision

Final year students of the Tweneboa Kodua Senior High School in Ghana’s Ashanti region have demonstrated against strict supervision in the ongoing West African...

Iker Casillas retires from football

Former Real Madrid and Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas has retired from football at the age of 39. Casillas made 725 appearances for Real during a...

SA Innovation Summit 2020 to take Africa to the World

For the very first time in its 13-year history, the SA Innovation Summit (SAIS) – the largest start-up event in Africa – will be...
Staff Writer
Africa Feeds Staff writers are group of African journalists focused on reporting news about the continent and the rest of the world.
- Advertisement -

Distraught families urged authorities to let them view the bodies of victims of an attack near a gold mine in Burkina Faso as dozens of workers who could have been caught in the ambush remained unaccounted for on Friday.

At least 38 people were killed on Wednesday when a convoy of five buses came under fire by militants on a road leading to the Boungou mine, operated by Canadian gold miner Semafo.

Public prosecutor Harouna Yoda said the government had opened an investigation in the attack.

The 38 bodies had been registered at the morgue of the Bogodogo District Hospital in the capital Ouagadougou, he said. The wounded were being treated there too.

Anxious families waited outside the hospital, with several people saying their relatives were still unaccounted for and expressing anger at the lack of information.

- Advertisement -

“I understand the coroner has to carry out their work on the bodies, but they should identify them too,” one man, Ismail Roamba, told Reuters. “The government should allow at least one family member to go and identify a body.”

Sixty people were wounded in the attack, authorities said. It was unclear exactly how many people were in the convoy, what their nationalities were or how many were missing. Two security sources said dozens may still be unaccounted for.

Two separate sources said the convoy left weekly carrying about 250 staff, usually in five buses of 50 to 60 people each.

Burkina Faso has suffered a homegrown insurgency for the past three years, amplified by a spillover of jihadist violence and criminality from its chaotic northern neighbour Mali.

- Advertisement -

It was not known which group the assailants in Wednesday’s attack may have belonged too.

 

 

Source: Reuters

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

African stars seek support for victims of Beirut explosion

Many African stars are rallying for support for victims of Tuesday’s bomb blast in the Lebanese capital Beirut. Former Chelsea and Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien,...

Ghanaian students demonstrate over strict exams supervision

Final year students of the Tweneboa Kodua Senior High School in Ghana’s Ashanti region have demonstrated against strict supervision in the ongoing West African...

Iker Casillas retires from football

Former Real Madrid and Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas has retired from football at the age of 39. Casillas made 725 appearances for Real during a...

SA Innovation Summit 2020 to take Africa to the World

For the very first time in its 13-year history, the SA Innovation Summit (SAIS) – the largest start-up event in Africa – will be...

Ghana: Businesses sack 42k workers, cut wages for 770k due to Covid-19

The shock caused by the COVID-19 pandemic has had considerable impacts on Ghanaian businesses, forcing many firms to cut costs by reducing staff hours,...