Saturday, September 26, 2020

Militants attack Nigerian town, kill 20 soldiers

Must read

African court rules Gbagbo qualifies to seek Ivorian presidency

Former President of Ivory Coast, Laurent Gbagbo has been declared worthy of seeking the Ivorian presidency. The African Court of Human and Peoples' Rights ruled...

Ecowas says sanctions imposed on Mali will not be lifted

West African regional bloc Ecowas has said that it will not lift sanctions imposed on Mali although the country now has an interim president. Mali’s...

Mali: Ba N’Daou sworn in as interim president

Mali's former defence minister, retired Col. Major Ba N’Daou has been sworn into office at a ceremony in the capital, Bamako. Ba N’Daou was named...

Covid-19: Africa’s young population, hot climate slowed infections

The World Health Organization has said that it has identified some factors that potentially played a role in slowing down the Coronavirus infection rate...
Staff Writer
Africa Feeds Staff writers are group of African journalists focused on reporting news about the continent and the rest of the world.
- Advertisement -

About 20 soldiers were killed and nearly 1,000 people made homeless in a militant attack on a town in northeastern Nigeria, two residents and a military source said on Wednesday.

The militants entered Monguno in Borno state posing as a convoy of soldiers on Tuesday evening, the sources said. They then attacked troops inside the town, destroying at least 750 homes in the process.

Resident Gumati Sadu said people fled into the bush for safety during the fighting and that three civilians were killed by stray bullets.

A military spokesman declined to comment.

Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) claimed responsibility for the attack on its Amaq news agency.

- Advertisement -

It said that one of its militants detonated a car bomb in the town, killing at least 8 soldiers and destroying 3 armoured vehicles.

The group also said it had seized a vehicle, weapons and ammunition before leaving the town.

ISWAP split from Islamist group Boko Haram in 2016 and has since staged its own frequent attacks in the region.

Boko Haram’s decade-long insurgency campaign has killed thousands and displaced millions in northeastern Nigeria.

- Advertisement -

Thousands in Monguno had already been displaced from their homes elsewhere in Borno state by militants. Aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres warned last year that many thousands in Monguno lacked proper shelter, water, sanitation and food.

 

 

Source: Reuters

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

African court rules Gbagbo qualifies to seek Ivorian presidency

Former President of Ivory Coast, Laurent Gbagbo has been declared worthy of seeking the Ivorian presidency. The African Court of Human and Peoples' Rights ruled...

Ecowas says sanctions imposed on Mali will not be lifted

West African regional bloc Ecowas has said that it will not lift sanctions imposed on Mali although the country now has an interim president. Mali’s...

Mali: Ba N’Daou sworn in as interim president

Mali's former defence minister, retired Col. Major Ba N’Daou has been sworn into office at a ceremony in the capital, Bamako. Ba N’Daou was named...

Covid-19: Africa’s young population, hot climate slowed infections

The World Health Organization has said that it has identified some factors that potentially played a role in slowing down the Coronavirus infection rate...

Ghana: One killed as soldiers raid homes over secessionists attack

At least one people have been killed in Ghana's Volta region where some individuals belonging to a secessionist group blocked major roads. Soldiers on Friday...
- Advertisement -