Monday, October 26, 2020

Isabel dos Santos ‘wanted’ back in Angola by prosecutors

Must read

Cameroon: Seventh child dies after shooting attack on school

A 12-year-old girl died on Sunday from wounds sustained when gunmen stormed a school in the South West Region of Cameroon on Saturday and...

Guinea: Tension heightens after Alpha Condé secures third term

Tension is high in Guinea with some streets reportedly deserted as security forces patrol them to contain a post election violence. Supporters of the opposition...

Opposition in Seychelles wins presidential poll after 43 years

The opposition in the Seychelles has won the country's presidential election for the first time since 1977. Wavel Ramkalawan, an Anglican priest defeated incumbent President...

Nigeria: At least 69 killed in anti-police brutality protests

The Nigerian presidency has said that at least sixty-nine people have been killed so far across the country in protests against police brutality. A spokesman...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

Africa’s richest woman, Isabel dos Santos is wanted back in Angola by state prosecutors who intend putting her on trial for alleged corrupt dealings.

Isabel dos Santos is currently facing graft probes in her home country of Angola although she resides abroad.

This month Isabel’s assets were frozen by an Angolan court. The court ordered the freezing of the assets over corruption allegations.

The Angolan government filed a case in court seeking to recover around $1 billion of funds it believes are owed to it by Isabel dos Santos and her business associates.

Angola is probing allegations that Isabel  dos Santos authorized offshore payments days after she was dismissed from Sonangol.

- Advertisement -

Isabel dos Santos has repeatedly denied wrongdoing and said the move is a “witch hunt” to destroy her father’s legacy.

Claims of witch-hunt

In a recent media interview, she said the attacks on her family are part of a campaign against future candidates for president.

Isabel dos Santos had said “It’s possible” for her to run for office in the next presidential election due in 2022.

Recent leaked documents have revealed how Africa’s richest woman made her fortune through exploiting her own country, and corruption.

She got access to lucrative deals involving land, oil, diamonds and telecoms when her father was president of Angola.

The documents show how she and her husband were allowed to buy valuable state assets in a series of suspicious deals.

- Advertisement -

On the back of these latest revelations, Angola’s Prosecutor general promised to use “all possible” means to bring Isabel dos Santos back to the country.

Prosecutor Helder Pitra Gros told Angolan public radio that “We will use all possible means and activate international mechanisms to bring Isabel dos Santos back to the country… We have asked for international support from Portugal, Dubai, and other countries.”

Isabel’s father former president Joao Eduardo dos Santos ran Angola for 38 years until current president Joao Lourenco took over in 2017.

 

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Cameroon: Seventh child dies after shooting attack on school

A 12-year-old girl died on Sunday from wounds sustained when gunmen stormed a school in the South West Region of Cameroon on Saturday and...

Guinea: Tension heightens after Alpha Condé secures third term

Tension is high in Guinea with some streets reportedly deserted as security forces patrol them to contain a post election violence. Supporters of the opposition...

Opposition in Seychelles wins presidential poll after 43 years

The opposition in the Seychelles has won the country's presidential election for the first time since 1977. Wavel Ramkalawan, an Anglican priest defeated incumbent President...

Nigeria: At least 69 killed in anti-police brutality protests

The Nigerian presidency has said that at least sixty-nine people have been killed so far across the country in protests against police brutality. A spokesman...

Libya: Warring factions sign accord for permanent ceasefire

The warring factions in Libya have signed an agreement for a permanent ceasefire to end the years of violence. The agreement was reached in Geneva...
- Advertisement -