Saturday, December 5, 2020

Guinea: At least 30 killed in post-election violence

Must read

The rise of cryptocurrency transfers to Africa

Cryptocurrency is steadily growing acceptance in Africa. Similarly, the use of cryptocurrency for money transfers to Africa is also on the rise. Fintech companies use...

UN says cannabis is no more a dangerous drug

The United Nation Commission on Narcotic Drugs has voted to remove cannabis and cannabis resin from a category of the world's most dangerous drugs. This...

Ghana’s major presidential candidates sign peace pact ahead of polls

The two leading candidates in Ghana's Presidential election on December 7 have signed a peace pact at a ceremony in the capital, Accra. The incumbent...

South Africa probes lottery draw of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

South Africa's Tuesday night national lottery drew the consecutive numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and a "PowerBall" number of 10, drawing immediate accusations of...
Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

At least 30 people have been reported dead in a post-election violence in Guinea after President Alpha Condé won this month’s disputed election.

Tension has been heightening in the country since the election results were declared with the opposition rejecting them.

Supporters of the opposition have been clashing with security forces for days now resulting in deaths.

The electoral commission confirmed President Alpha Condé’s controversial third term in office last week.

Preliminary results from the electoral commission showed that the 82-year-old secured 59.5% of the vote.

- Advertisement -

Mr Diallo, 68, won 33.5% of the ballots, the electoral commission said last week.

His victory will now have to be confirmed by the Constitutional Court but his opponent, Cellou Dalein Diallo alleges large-scale fraud.

“We are still going to refer the matter to the constitutional court, without having too many expectations,” Mr Diallo told Agence France-Presse.

He added that “We are going to protest against this electoral hold-up through the street. We are in the process of building a case, which is very difficult since our office is occupied, we don’t have access to our documents, but we are nevertheless going to refer the matter to the constitutional court.”

- Advertisement -

Four of the 17 electoral commissioners have said they found “serious anomalies” in the organisation of the presidential election.

They content those anomalies affected the provisional results, according to a 22-page report released on Sunday.

In the report they detailed the so-called anomalies, which they said would be presented to representatives of ECOWAS, the African Union and the UN, who are in Conakry.

 

Ghana: Secessionist group blocks entries to disputed region, attacks cops

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

The rise of cryptocurrency transfers to Africa

Cryptocurrency is steadily growing acceptance in Africa. Similarly, the use of cryptocurrency for money transfers to Africa is also on the rise. Fintech companies use...

UN says cannabis is no more a dangerous drug

The United Nation Commission on Narcotic Drugs has voted to remove cannabis and cannabis resin from a category of the world's most dangerous drugs. This...

Ghana’s major presidential candidates sign peace pact ahead of polls

The two leading candidates in Ghana's Presidential election on December 7 have signed a peace pact at a ceremony in the capital, Accra. The incumbent...

South Africa probes lottery draw of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

South Africa's Tuesday night national lottery drew the consecutive numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and a "PowerBall" number of 10, drawing immediate accusations of...

Terrorism could persist in Nigeria for 20 years, army chief says

The Chief of Army Staff of Nigeria, Lt Gen Tukur Yusuf Buratai, has said that "there is likelihood of terrorism persisting in Nigeria...
- Advertisement -