The West African regional bloc, ECOWAS has expressed concern over Senegal’s decision to postpone this month’s presidential election.
President Macky Sall postponed the election planned for February 25, when he addressed the nation on Saturday.
He said he had cancelled the relevant law due to electoral issues he feared would fuel disputes.
President Sall’s decision follows the constitutional council’s January decision to exclude some prominent contenders from the electoral list, which has triggered discontent about the election process.
“These troubled conditions could seriously undermine the credibility of the ballot by sowing the seeds of pre- and post-electoral disputes,” Sall said in his address.
No new date has been announced for the vote Sall said a parliamentary inquiry had been set up to look into how candidates were verified and any other issues, and that a national dialogue would also take place to ensure the eventual election is free, fair and transparent.
ECOWAS said Senegal must fasten the process to allow for the elections.
ECOWAS Communiqué on Senegal pic.twitter.com/ECIY9QPRh2
— Ecowas – Cedeao (@ecowas_cedeao) February 3, 2024
Sall is not running for president again. He said the postponement would not affect his decision not to run for a third term.
His mandate ends on April 2. The president of parliament would be in charge if elections have still not been held after this.
Opposition candidate Khalifa Sall said he would refuse to recognise Sall as president after April 2.
“Today we feel pain and sadness for our country and our democracy,” he said at a press conference.