Sunday, January 23, 2022

DR Congo to proceed with $14b Inga dam despite row

Must read

Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

The Democratic Republic of Congo has said that building a $14 billion dam on the Congo River will still take place.

The project is facing many challenges including disagreements between developers.

Congolese officials had asked two groups of developers, one Chinese, one Spanish to submit a joint proposal last year.

But talks between the partners broke down due to “serious differences” regarding the development and shareholding of the project.

Despite several talks between the developers with the latest held in March there was no deal.

- Advertisement -

A government agency overseeing the project has said in a statement that DR Congo envisages an 11,050-megawatt facility that can export 5,000 megawatts to South Africa.

Mining companies in Congo would get about 3,000 megawatts, and the national electricity company the remaining 3,000.

Patrick Kabuya, head of communications for the government agency told Bloomberg that the project would proceed.

“Negotiations are continuing with all sides,” he said in an interview in Kinshasa, the capital.

- Advertisement -

When completed the Inga III dam would be the biggest hydroelectric power station on Africa’s second-longest river.

 

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -