Wednesday, May 18, 2022

DR Congo declares end to second deadliest Ebola outbreak

Must read

Isaac Kaledzihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Kaledzi
Isaac Kaledzi is an experienced and award winning journalist from Ghana. He has worked for several media brands both in Ghana and on the International scene. Isaac Kaledzi is currently serving as an African Correspondent for DW.
- Advertisement -

The second deadliest Ebola outbreak in history has now been declared over by authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The declaration is happening after nearly two years since the outbreak emerged killing more than 2,200 people.

On Thursday Congolese officials said the outbreak, east of the country was over although another wave of outbreak is being tackled elsewhere in the country.

The outbreak more than 1,000 km (620 miles) away in the western city of Mbandaka is unrelated to that of the eastern region.

That outbreak in Mbandaka was declared on June 1 and has seen recorded up to 24 cases so far, including 13 deaths.

- Advertisement -

“Compared to previous outbreaks, this last one was the longest, the most complex and the deadliest,” Health Minister Eteni Longondo told reporters.

Congo has suffered 11 Ebola outbreaks since the virus was discovered near the Ebola River in 1976.

“It wasn’t easy and at times it seemed like mission impossible,” said Matshidiso Moeti, the World Health Organization’s Africa regional director.

- Advertisement -

DR Congo has been battling two deadly viruses -Ebola and Coronavirus. It struggled to end the nearly two-year-old Ebola outbreak.

It was days away from declaring an end to the epidemic when new cases were detected, pushing back the gains made.

The largest Ebola outbreak in history occurred in West Africa from 2013-2016.

It killed over 11,300 people mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

 

 

Source: Africafeeds.com

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -