Mali’s President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita has dissolved the constitutional court following unrest due to ongoing protests.
The top court is at the centre of controversy after it overturned provisional results for parliamentary elections in March.
Keita said in a TV address that “I have decided to repeal the licences of the remaining members of the constitutional court.”
“This de facto dissolution of the court will enable us, from next week, to ask relevant authorities to nominate new members so that the reformed court can quickly help us find solutions to the disputes arising from the legislative elections,” he added.
On Friday a major protest seeking his resignation led to the death of four people and in an attempt to calm the crisis, President Keita said he was open to dialogue.
But he said about the protests that “All tolerable limits were reached and surpassed.”
Mali’s opposition coalition on Saturday also said security forces detained two leaders of anti-government protests and raided its headquarters.
Protesters have accused President Keita of failing to tackle Mali’s major crises including jihadist conflict, an economic crisis and the disputed elections.
Last month the West African regional bloc ECOWAS asked Mali to form a government of national unity.
ECOWAS also asked Mali’s officials to re-run some of its contested local elections to restore serenity to the country.
Mali has for years now struggled to overcome the activities of terrorists with the region remaining unstable since 2012 when jihadist fighters seized the desert north of the country.
Although French troops helped to recapture the north, violence still continues. Not even the presence of United Nations troops will help restore order.
Keita, who was re-elected in 2018 for a second five-year term, has struggled to address the security crisis.
Political tension continues to surge and people also dispute recently held local elections in March.
The polls recorded low turnout due to fears of attacks by jihadist groups who roam the desert north.