Thursday, July 2, 2020

Nigeria: Family of 16 burnt to death in militant attack

Must read

German officials search house of Gambian player over ‘double identity’

German officials on Thursday conducted a house search in the apartment of Gambian player, Bakery Jatta in Hamburg. According to Germany daily Sport Bild, investigators...

Ten years since Ghana’s Asamoah Gyan broke hearts of Africans

On July 2, 2010 Ghana's senior football team, the black stars had the best chance ever in their footballing history to progress to the...

Famous Ethiopian singer buried amid deadly violence

Ethiopian singer Hachalu Hundessa has now been buried after he was shot dead in the capital Addis Ababa earlier this week. His death sparked unrest...

South African refinery explosion kills at least two

At least two people have died and at least six others have sustained injuries following an explosion at an oil refinery in South Africa. The...
Staff Writer
Africa Feeds Staff writers are group of African journalists focused on reporting news about the continent and the rest of the world.
- Advertisement -

16 members of the same family were burnt to death in a militant attack in north-western Kaduna state of Nigeria.

According to those who witnessed the attack, the victims got locked up in a room and their house set on fire.

Gunmen had stormed a village shooting and killing residents and burning cars and other properties.

On Sunday Boko Haram militants also burnt at least 30 people to death while they were sleeping in their cars.

The militants also abducted women and children in this latest attack in north-eastern Nigeria.

- Advertisement -

Nigerian officials said the attack took place in Auno town on a major highway in Borno State.

Residents spoke of how 18 vehicles comprising trailers, buses, and cars were burnt by the insurgents who laid siege on the village on Sunday night.

According to eyewitnesses, the militants came in trucks mounted with heavy weapons for the attack.

Buhari promises end to killings

Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari on Monday promised that all children kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists would be set free during his regime.

- Advertisement -

On Wednesday he visited Borno State and told residents that the Boko Haram insurgents cannot carry out attacks on the people without the supports of some of the locals.

He said “Boko Haram or whatever they are cannot come to Maiduguri or its environs without the local leadership knowing, the local leadership is in charge of security in their own respective areas.

“With my understanding of our culture, I wonder how Boko Haram survives up to this end.

“As the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, I campaigned in 2015 and last year on three fundamental issues which include security as you cannot preside over an institution or a country if it is not secured.

“We are working for you in this country; as Commander-in-Chief, I am dealing with the security institutions and I believe there is an improvement in security.

“I urge the people of the state to cooperate with the law enforcement agencies; let us deny Boko Haram access to our loyal citizens and encourage displaced people to go back to their land.”

Boko Haram and other militant groups have been wrecking havoc in Nigeria for years now, killing thousands and displacing millions.

The government had claimed victory in its battle with these militants but attacks like the one witnessed over the weekend continues.

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

German officials search house of Gambian player over ‘double identity’

German officials on Thursday conducted a house search in the apartment of Gambian player, Bakery Jatta in Hamburg. According to Germany daily Sport Bild, investigators...

Ten years since Ghana’s Asamoah Gyan broke hearts of Africans

On July 2, 2010 Ghana's senior football team, the black stars had the best chance ever in their footballing history to progress to the...

Famous Ethiopian singer buried amid deadly violence

Ethiopian singer Hachalu Hundessa has now been buried after he was shot dead in the capital Addis Ababa earlier this week. His death sparked unrest...

South African refinery explosion kills at least two

At least two people have died and at least six others have sustained injuries following an explosion at an oil refinery in South Africa. The...

Gabon bans EU travellers from visiting in reciprocal move

Gabon's government has suspended the issuing of visas to European Union travellers amid the Covid-19. According to Gabon's officials the move is due to the...