Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara isn’t giving in to agitations over his ambition to seek a third term in office.
On Monday he submitted his application to seek re-election despite a weekend of protests by his opponents.
At least five people have died during clashes over the decision by President Ouattara to run for a third term.
The killings took place in the southern town of Divo where opposition supporters clashed with those of Mr. Ouattara.
Protesters had set fire to a bar during the clashes. A teenager was among those killed in the clashes.More than 100 were wounded in the clashes.
President Ouattara who has been in office since 2011 said “We will submit to the verdict of our fellow citizens.”
He was speaking outside the Independent Election Commission (CEI) in Abidjan where he filed his application.
He added that “I would like to tell our fellow citizens that I have a vision for our country. A vision of stability, a vision of security, a vision of peace for all Ivorians.”
Le dépôt de mon dossier de candidature à l’élection présidentielle du 31 octobre 2020, ce lundi matin, à la Commission Électorale Indépendante (CEI). pic.twitter.com/8tZHF7WE0F
— Alassane Ouattara (@AOuattara_PRCI) August 24, 2020
The 76 year old had announced that he would not be seeking a third term in office, saying he wanted the new generation to take over.
The man who was picked to run on the ticket of the ruling party, Prime Minister, Amadou Gon Coulibaly suddenly died earlier this month.
Ouattara said in a televised speech that “I have decided to respond favourably to the call of my fellow citizens. Given my previous promise, this decision represents a real sacrifice for me.”
The opposition has said that Ouattara’s decision to run again violates the two-term limit in the constitution.
In August the president told public broadcaster RTI that “I am a candidate in the presidential election of October 31.
I have decided to respond favourably to the call of my fellow citizens.”